Sphecidae, Sceliphron curvatum from Romania

All about images of bees and wasps

Sphecidae, Sceliphron curvatum from Romania

Postby cosmln on 26 Aug 2008, 13:06

Hi,

some days ago find several nests in a blanket in my balcony, but crashed from mistake.
today found another two.

here are, taken out from there. one is without lid and inside can be seen several spider, i think this are meal for he larva.
need that blanket, so take them out from the "shelter". will survive? advices?

and i think the wasp from additional image is the mother.

can be ID-ed?

thanks,
cosmln

[EDIT]: title updated (thanks to JoseLuis)
Attachments
undetIMG_0810.jpg
undetIMG_0799.JPG
Last edited by cosmln on 26 Aug 2008, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
cosmln

Re: ?, ? from Romania

Postby JoseLuis on 26 Aug 2008, 13:30

Sphecidae. Sceliphron curvatum.
JoseLuis

Postby Christian on 26 Aug 2008, 15:57

On www.bembix.de, homepage below, you will find an article about this species in German language. It was introtruced in Austria in the 1970ies, and is widespread in Europe now.

Regards, Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Postby cosmln on 26 Aug 2008, 16:25

in FaEU this is not yet listed as present for Romania.
somebody know more maybe?

thanks in advance,
cosmln
cosmln

Postby JoseLuis on 26 Aug 2008, 17:30

FaEU goes in construction several years, still there are discrepancies for the taxonomic system chosen, are political and the majority of states Europa do not favor the projects of entomology. In Spain we have many species without recognizing (absent in FE) and nevertheless they are detected in all our Mediterranean arch ands your. influence. Regards.
JoseLuis

Postby cosmln on 26 Aug 2008, 18:06

JoseLuis wrote:FaEU goes in construction several years, still there are discrepancies for the taxonomic system chosen, are political and the majority of states Europa do not favor the projects of entomology. In Spain we have many species without recognizing (absent in FE) and nevertheless they are detected in all our Mediterranean arch ands your. influence. Regards.

Also from Christian's paper: Schmid-Egger, C. (2004d): Sceliphron curvatum (F. Smith 1870) in Europa mit einem Bestimmungsschlüssel für die europäischen und mediterranen Sceliphron-Arten (Hymenoptera, Sphecidae). Bembix 19 ( http://www.bembix.de/christian/publications-christian.htm ) his is not a species founded until now in Romania. After seeing the map and reading about mode and direction of spreading the presence in Romania was expected.

hope Christian will say something more on this.

if needed i will try to collect several specimens.

cosmln
cosmln

Re: Sphecidae, Sceliphron curvatum from Romania

Postby Christian on 26 Aug 2008, 20:42

I don't have so many more information, as I wrote some years before. But species is recorded from northern Greece and Ukraine (Crimea) now, so findings in Romania can be expected. Nevertheless, colleting records are welcome, because there is a problem with a second Asian species, what is very similiar to curvatum: Sceliphron deforme (described in my key). So, when you have some samples, I would like to examine them, if possible. There is no hurry, anywhen in winter will be ok.

Regards, Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Postby cosmln on 26 Aug 2008, 21:11

Christian wrote:I don't have so many more information, as I wrote some years before. But species is recorded from northern Greece and Ukraine (Crimea) now, so findings in Romania can be expected. Nevertheless, colleting records are welcome, because there is a problem with a second Asian species, what is very similiar to curvatum: Sceliphron deforme (described in my key). So, when you have some samples, I would like to examine them, if possible. There is no hurry, anywhen in winter will be ok.

Regards, Christian

K, will try to do so.

cosmln
cosmln

Postby Rosie on 22 Jul 2009, 23:54

I have one wasp mum building her pots in our flat. It is ( I believe ) Mud dauber wasp - sceliphron. She has built the second pot yeasterday, brought some spiders and closed it today. Can anyone tell me when I should expect the little wasps to hatch? I do not plan to kill them or to destroy the pots, she is building it on the board that can be moved, so if you have any advice, I will be pleased.

I live in central Slovakia.
Rosie

Postby Rosie on 22 Jul 2009, 23:54

I have one wasp mum building her pots in our flat. It is ( I believe ) Mud dauber wasp - sceliphron. She has built the second pot yeasterday, brought some spiders and closed it today. Can anyone tell me when I should expect the little wasps to hatch? I do not plan to kill them or to destroy the pots, she is building it on the board that can be moved, so if you have any advice, I will be pleased.

I live in central Slovakia.
Rosie

Return to old - Determination of photos