Hedychrum nobile ??

All about images of bees and wasps

Hedychrum nobile ??

Postby gbooth on 25 Feb 2009, 18:47

I am quite lost with this one. It was also quite large, aprox. 8-10 mm. Shot at 2000 in Sierra Nevada, S Spain. 06/August/2008.
Thanks,

Guillermo
Attachments
Chrysididae_Durcal.jpg
Last edited by gbooth on 25 Feb 2009, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
gbooth

Re: Chrysura dichroa??

Postby gbooth on 25 Feb 2009, 19:07

Looking again, the colours are the same as Hedychrum nobile, however, the gaster does not look like Hedychrum to me????
Thanks.
gbooth

Re: Chrysura dichroa??

Postby Christian on 25 Feb 2009, 19:16

The same as before: your specimen agree on photo level perfect with a (Central European) dichroa, but I cannot say, wheather it is this species or a closely related. But Chrysura near dichroa is correct.

See here:
http://www.hymis.de/fotos/popups/pictur ... =7&level=2

Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Re: Hedychrum nobile ??

Postby gbooth on 25 Feb 2009, 19:43

Thanks Chrys.

The only difference I see is the colour of the scutellum that is blue in mine and red in the photos I have seen. However, this colour is not mentioned in the keys.
However, C. dichroa is the only one described in Spanish keys that has a colour pattern similar to this one. So in principle if it is Hedychrum it can not be any other species unless it were a new one.
Cheers,
gbooth

Postby Christian on 25 Feb 2009, 20:56

Ok, I overlooked the difference in scutellum color. This is an important character. I asked Paolo Rosa, maybe he can help. But you can be sure that it is not Hedychrum, but a Chrysis-related genus and species.

Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Postby chrysis on 26 Feb 2009, 02:15

Hi everybody,
even if I cannot see the face and the last tergite I would say Chrysis pyrophana Dahlbom, belonging to the Chrysis succincta group; it is quite common in Spain. In Europe it is distributed only in the Iberic Peninsula, even if it is cited for Southern Europe and S-W Europe in general. Actually I never studied any specimen collected in France or Italy.

Paolo
chrysis

Postby gbooth on 26 Feb 2009, 11:29

Thanks a lot Paolo,

I really appreciate your help. I would like to learn a bit more about Chrysidoidea. We are shooting a few in the Insectarium Virtual forum in Spain, and they are never identified.

Cheers,

Guillermo
gbooth

Chrysididae

Postby chrysis on 26 Feb 2009, 13:06

Dear Guillermo,

if you are looking for more information on Chrysididae (and few notes on Chrysidoidea) you can take a look at my web-site:
chrysis.net
At the moment I'm planning with Gian Luca Angoli to create a new version with the pictures of all our species.
If you need some other identification you can post your (beautiful) pictures on this site. But also you can post them in chrysis.net

Ciao
Paolo
chrysis

Return to old - Determination of photos