Winter-Active Bombus terrestris

Winter-Active Bombus terrestris

Postby StuartR on 22 Dec 2008, 01:04

For a number of years now, many people across southern UK have reported seeing active workers of Bombus terrestris, carrying pollen, throughout the winter months.

In the last 10 days I have received 190 records of such activity in UK, and I was wondering if any observers on the continental mainland (especially in northern FR, BE, NL and DE) have observed anything similar?

The key forage plants at the moment seem to be winter flowering Erica and the ubiquitous Mahonia (various cultivars).

We have also received a report of a queen B. pratorum with a full pollen load in mid November.

Good hunting
Stuart Roberts
www.bwars.com
StuartR

Re: Winter-Active Bombus terrestris

Postby Ivo Raemakers on 22 Dec 2008, 17:54

In november there were quite some bumblebees active in the Netherlands, mainly B. terrestris and pratorum, but also cf. lucorum.
I have seen several animals with pollen loads (also a B. pratorum queen), but all queens, no workers (in my opinion).
So far I observed no activity in december.

A few years ago I saw B. hortorum workers late october/ early november.

Ivo Raemakers
Ivo Raemakers

Re: Winter-Active Bombus terrestris

Postby StuartR on 03 Jan 2009, 15:08

The number of records of winter-active Bombus terrestris I have received from all across southern England now stands at just under 300. Activity has been slowed down during the recent cold snap, but the bees are still visiting forage plants, even when the air temperature is on or around 0 Degrees C.

For latest information, visit the BWARS website on www.bwars.com

Happy New Year one and all
Stuart Roberts
www.bwars.com
StuartR

Return to behavior and ecology / Verhalten und Ökologie