Project Kerkini: Greece

Systematics and other topics

Project Kerkini: Greece

Postby BeeWolf on 05 Sep 2008, 09:20

Dear All,
I am an english running a voluntary biodiversity survey of a National Park in Northern Greece. The area is a RAMSAR and NATURA2000 site as well as a Wetland of International Importance (for birds). See www.lake-kerkini.earthlife.net/ for more information.

The project is enabled by the work of numerous scientists mostly in Europe, and I am writing today to ask for help with two groups of Hymenoptera. If anybody would be interested in seeing material from the survey, or knows of anybody who would be interested in seeing material from either the Tiphiidae, or some part, or all, of the Ichneumonoidea I would be very happy to here from them.

All the material is in 70% ethanol and labelled with site name, GPS co-ordinates and collection date (in English). I am quite happy for collaborators to retain whatever material they desire for their own collections, the remaining material will go to the NHM in London.

My thnaks to you all

Gordon
BeeWolf

Re: Project Kerkini: Greece

Postby Eckart Stolle on 10 Sep 2008, 18:53

Hi

Although i myself cant really help, i still wanted to give u a reply. Unfortunatly i'm not familiar with the greece fauna, although in general it would interest me. But also my literature isnt complete. Maybe Christian knows someone - at least for Tiphiidae, i dont. For Ichneumonidae its gonna be tricky i guess.

Cheers
Eckart
Eckart Stolle
Site Admin

registration check: hymis

Postby Libor on 10 Sep 2008, 20:24

Hi. I can identify Vespidae sensu lato and maybe also Scoliidae. Libor
Libor

Postby Guest on 11 Sep 2008, 16:53

Dear Eckart and Libor,
Thanks for the replies, I have been very lucky with the Hymenoptera and only those two groups I mentioned are unclaimed, still thanks for the offer Libor.

The area is throwing up some very interesting stuff, whomever takes on the Ichnuemonidae will surely have some fun. I expect it is a job for more than one person though, I found a cadre of Ichneumonologists in Italy in an Entomologists of Europe online data base, but it is very old and does not supply any email addreses.

Thanks again,

Gordon

Postby BeeWolf on 12 Sep 2008, 09:33

Actually Libor,
Thinking about it I realise I was lumping the Vespidae in with the Sphecidae, and as Tashko will have plenty of work with the Sphecids I could probably send you a few tubes of Vespula, I think the Polistes are all mixed in with the Sphecidae, but the Vespula I have sorted separately and labelled separately, so if you are interested I can send them off to you, I will need an address for this of course. I think I have 3 species of Vespula and the common Vespa.

Gordon
BeeWolf

Postby Libor on 12 Sep 2008, 18:13

Hi Gordon! All Vespula, Vespa, Dolichovespula, and Polistes are welcomed. Do not remember, please, that Vespidae includes also Eumeninae, formerly separate family. I will do all the family. My address: Libor Dvorak, Sumava National Park Administration, Susicka 399, CZ-34192 Kasperske Hory, Czech Republic
Libor
Libor

Postby Eckart Stolle on 13 Sep 2008, 01:14

@Libor
[off topic] Do u know good literature about Polistes/ Belanogaster from South Africa? And Polistes from Central Asia (Kyrgyzan)? I collected several specimens from several species there and want to ID them but i dont hav all literature yet. U probably know the recent papers best. Is there anything good for those regions?

Cheers
Eckart
Eckart Stolle
Site Admin

Postby Christian on 20 Sep 2008, 18:50

I may help with some special genera of Sphecid wasps. I am in kontact with Tashko, who knows which genera I can identify. Because of my sparse time, I can only accept pinned specimens.

The same with Pompilidae. Here I may identify some genera, esp. Cryptocheilus, but only when pinned.

Regards, Christian

My Email: christian (@) bembix.de
Christian
Site Admin

Postby BeeWolf on 04 Oct 2008, 11:49

Dear Libor,
As a result of your kind offer I have gone through all my tubes and sorted out the Vespidae from the Sphecidae on the basis of the presence or absence of wing folding, I will now send you the Vespidae, hopefully on Monday or Tuesday.

Gordon
BeeWolf

Postby Anthony Daglio on 05 Jul 2013, 20:38

This is a paper showing the results of this fascinating project: http://academia.edu/1488329/Dvorak_and_ ... olistinae_ I hope further studies are done on the social wasps of Greece.
Anthony Daglio

Postby Anthony Daglio on 29 Sep 2013, 18:11

Here is another paper on the social wasps of Peloponnes, Greece including a few new records for some species in Greece as well as a description of a new species Polistes hellenicus.

Here is the link:
Arens (2011) Die sozialen faltenwespen der Peloponnes mit beschreibung einer neue Polistes art und einem regionalen Polistes bestimmungsschlussel: http://www.academia.edu/4614181/Arens_2 ... gschlussel
Anthony Daglio

Return to Expert Forum / Expertenforum