Pompilidae

Systematics and other topics

Pompilidae

Postby BeeWolf on 10 Jan 2009, 09:46

Dear Hymenopterists,
Is there anybody out there who would be interested in, or willing to, determine some Pompilidae from Northern Greece. I was sending them all to Prof Raymond Wahis in Belgium, but he has not answered an email in over a year or acknowledged receipt of the last 2 parcels I sent so I am looking for somebody else so i can get a few names on the list.

Gordon
BeeWolf

Re: Pompilidae

Postby Eckart Stolle on 14 Jan 2009, 11:20

Maybe Christian can help a bit, but i'm not sure. I would be interested but i'm not familiar with those greece wasps but if you dont find anyone just give a note here again.

Christian is still on holiday i think...

Cheers
Eckart
Eckart Stolle
Site Admin

registration check: hymis

Postby Christian on 16 Jan 2009, 11:51

The Problem in the Pompilidae ID for the moment is, that R. Wahis is the only who is able to do it seriously. The Mediterranean fauna is not revised in most genera, and good keys lack.

I may identify some genera (e.g. Cryptocheilus, what I do revise for the moment), but some genera like Telostegus, Tachyagetes, Priocnemis etc. are not possible. Greece is not really complicated, but nevertheless there are also some unsolved taxonomical problems.

So, if you want, you may send specimens, I may ID what is possible for me. Concernig R. Wahis, I recommend to ask again, normally he requires some more time to ask to Emails or to send specimens back.

Contact me by email please, and I may send my adress: christian(at)bembix.de

Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Postby BeeWolf on 16 Oct 2009, 21:21

I am glad to be able to report that Dr Wahis has sent me a list of 64 species names in time for my report to the authorities, while I doubt this is everything determined it is a nice list to have. I can post it here if anybody is interested, but for now, because communication with Dr Wahis is slow, and uncertain (I use YahooBabelFish to translate into and out of French), I would like to ask a taxonomic question, Dr Wahis has given me Agenioideus orbiculatus as a name, Fauna Europaea say this is really Agenioideus ciliatus, but I am wary of FE, it seems to contain a lot of errors, and normally doesn't bother with synonyms at all. Comments please?????
BeeWolf

Postby Christian on 23 Oct 2009, 21:06

Really difficult. The FE list was made by Raymond Wahis, and when he names the species "orbiculatus", than he is the only who can clear the true identify of this species. Best, you try again to ask him (and may send his frensh anwer to me for translating, if you cannot understand it). Sometimes he answers late, also in the moment because he has/had some problems with health.

As I told before, the nomenclature and taxonomy of Pompilidae in the Med area is terrbible, and nobody else than Raymond has the surview (but no in all genera). I am revising the genus Cryptocheilus in the Palaearctis for the moment and understand the problems of Pompilidae now better. You have to check each type for yourself to be sure about identity, because former authors as Wolf, Priesner or Haupt did a very bad job. I have to change or synonymise about 20-30 % of the present taxa namens, and appr. 40% of the species in collections are wrongly identified (most by Wolf). For that reason I do not identify Pompilids from the south except Cryptocheilus. It is not possible in most taxa.

Some years ago, Raymond and I revised Eoferreola, and we made the same experience. For the future, I plan to revise further genera of Pompilidae, but ony step by step.

Regards, Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Return to Expert Forum / Expertenforum