New Parapolybia species, and first record of Vespula koreen

Systematics and other topics

New Parapolybia species, and first record of Vespula koreen

Postby Anthony Daglio on 16 Dec 2015, 19:57

A NEW SPECIES OF PARAPOLYBIA, AND FIRST RECORD OF VESPULA KOREENSIS SALEBROSA ARCHER 1982 IN HONG KONG, CHINA

A.) NOTES ON VESPULA KOREENSIS SALEBROSA ARCHER 1982 AND FIRST RECORD IN HONG KONG

I have recently received some photos of many species of southeast Asia many which were identified as Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer. Recently I have received some more salebrosa photos from Vietnam. In light of all these new specimens I reviewed many photos I had kept in my hardrive and one of these listed as Vespula flaviceps specimens yielded some interesting results! I had received photos from John (Vespa bicolor) in the past containing many photos of dark queens of Vespula flaviceps Smith. These photos were quite interesting but one queen seemed to be different. Tentatively, I classified this dark queen as flaviceps although I was skeptical. I am attaching photos of it here as well as other queen and worker specimens of V. koreensis salebrosa Archer from Vietnam.
In the book by John X.Q. Lee (2009) Potentially dangerous bees and wasps of Hong Kong on page 49 states "There are possibly 2 or 3 Vespula species in Hong Kong, with Vespula flaviceps Smith being the most commonly encountered". There are four species of Vespula which are widespread in the Asian Palearctic and Oriental regions. These species are: Vespula flaviceps Smith which is found in Hong Kong, Vespula koreensis salebrosa, Vespula orbata Buysson, and Vespula structor Smith. Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer is reported in Hong Kong for the first time here. NEW RECORD

a.) Keys and a description was given for queens, workers, and males of both Vespula species that occur in Hong Kong: Vespula flaviceps Smith and Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer (Misidentified as Vespula orbata Buysson; See Archer (1982) in Yamane et al (1980): https://www.academia.edu/1463552/Yamane ... _Vespidae_

b.) The taxonomy to the Vespula of the Vespula koreensis group has been done by Archer (1982, 2012) Keys to the Vespula koreensis group including queens of: Vespula koreensis Radoszkowski, Vespula koreenis stizoides Buysson, and Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer are given by Archer (1982, 2012): http://www.academia.edu/1463550/Archer_ ... _Vespidae_

c.) An additional description of workers of Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer was done by Nguyen et al (2006) (as a color form of Vespula koreensis Radoszkowski): http://www.academia.edu/1463545/Nguyen_ ... n_Vespinae

d.) Vespula koreensis salebrosa has also been proven to be an exclusive pollinator of the Asian orchid Coelogyne fimbriata: http://www.academia.edu/1463872/Cheng_e ... pula_wasps

B.) NOTES ON PARAPOLYBIA CROCEA SAITO-MOROOKA,NGUYEN, & KOJIMA 2015, A NEWLY ADDED SPECIES TO THE HONG KONG SOCIAL WASP FAUNA
Recently, a new species of Parapolybia was seperated from P. varia and listed under the name Parapolybia crocea Saito-Morooka, Nguyen, & Kojima 2015. in Saito Morooka et al (2015) Review of the paper wasp species of the Parapolybia indica species group in eastern parts of Asia: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ts_of_Asia

Distribution of Parapolybia crocea: Japan (except Hokkaido and south of Kuchino-Jima Island in the Nansei Islands), South Korea, China (Guangdong, Fujian, Hong Kong), Taiwan, Thailand, Laos, and north Vietnam.

C.) CHECKLIST OF THE PARAPOLIBIA SPECIES OF HONG KONG

1.) Parapolybia crocea Saito-Morooka, Nguyen, & Saito
Note: Before Saito-Morooka et al (2015) this species was listed as Parapolybia varia F.

2.) Parapolybia indica Saussure

3.) Parapolybia nadosa Vecht

4.) Parapolybia varia Fabricius
Attachments
V.sp1.JPG
Workers of Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer from Vietnam
V.koreensis.JPG
Workers of Vespula koreensis salebrosa from Vietnam
V.sp2.JPG
Queen of Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer from Vietnam for comparison.
Vespula koreensis salebrosa queen Hong Kong.jpg
Another queen of Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer from Hong Kong, China
Vespula koreensis salebrosa queen 3 Hong Kong.jpg
Side view of the clypeus of queen of Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer from Hong Kong, China
Vespula koreensis salebrosa queen 2 Hong Kong.jpg
Queen of Vespula koreensis salebrosa Archer from Hong Kong, China
Last edited by Anthony Daglio on 18 Dec 2015, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Daglio

registration check: hymis

Re: New Parapolybia species, and first record of Vespula koreen

Postby Anthony Daglio on 16 Dec 2015, 20:53

Here are a few images of a worker of Parapolybia crocea Saito-Morooka, Nguyen, & Kojima 2015.
Attachments
Parapolybia_crocea clypeus.JPG
Parapolybia crocea worker (Clypeal Pattern)
Parapolybia_crocea.JPG
Parapolybia crocea worker (Dorsal Habitus)
Anthony Daglio

registration check: hymis

Return to Expert Forum / Expertenforum