A third small species from Flitwick Moor, Beds, Dec 2015

A third small species from Flitwick Moor, Beds, Dec 2015

Postby mycologistman on 08 Dec 2015, 14:02

As indicated in my previous posting on 3 December I visited Flitwick Moor in Bedfordshire , England with a friend. This is a well studied nature reserve yet despite the time of year we added to new species for the County (1 fly and a hopper [Auchenorrhyncha]). We also beat three small Hymenoptera from Ivy that looked interesting. Each was between 3 and 4mm long. Although I think identification from the images is very unlikely I will post all three here in the hope that someone might be able to guide us to the correct groups. This is the third, again perhaps a hyperparasite of a gall wasp. It looks not dissimilar in some regards to my previous posting though also with very evident differences. Both are clearly female. I do have the specimens of each of these.

Many thanks as always

Alan
Attachments
FM15Hym3d.jpg
FM15Hym3c.jpg
FM15Hym3b.jpg
FM15Hym3a.jpg
mycologistman

Re: A third small species from Flitwick Moor, Beds, Dec 2015

Postby chalcidbear on 08 Dec 2015, 18:11

Ha! This is probably the ichneumonid genus Gelis, which can be fully winged, brachypterous, or apterous, and can be a primary or secondary parasitoid. Now that I've seen this, I think it quite possible that you image #2 may be a fully-winged version of this species. Reposting this on the Ichneumonidea board will probably get you a more definitive answer though.
chalcidbear

registration check: HymIS

Re: A third small species from Flitwick Moor, Beds, Dec 2015

Postby mycologistman on 09 Dec 2015, 01:13

Very many thanks Chalcidbear. Your comments here in relation to this and also in relation to specimen 2 have already exceeded my wildest expectations regarding the identity of these two. These certainly look like other images on-line of Gelis species and whilst I doubt the possibility of identification to species from the images I will nonetheless re-post on the ichneumon section as you suggest. Hopefully though the fact that I have the specimens will mean that at least by knowing the genus it will be possible for someone to take this further,

Best wishes and thank you again

Alan
mycologistman

Return to others or unknown / sonstige oder unbekannt