Australian Eulophidae

Australian Eulophidae

Postby Graeme Cocks on 21 Feb 2017, 05:47

Can anyone suggest a family for this wasp? The pattern on the hind femur is familiar? Sweeping over grass. Townsville, Queensland.
Attachments
gvcT09174.jpg
Last edited by Graeme Cocks on 21 Feb 2017, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Cocks

registration check: HymIS

Re: Australian wasp?

Postby Bilule on 21 Feb 2017, 10:04

It's an Eulophidae, and yes, the pattern of the hind tibia is typical, of our european Elasmus sp at least, together with large and disk like hind coxa, scutellum with triangular projection, shape of the wings etc.
So I presume it's an Elasmini (or Elasminae?). Two genera seem to occur in Australia: Elasmus and Austelasmus, according to Riek, E. F. (1967). Australian Hymenoptera chalcidoidea family eulophidae, subfamily eladminae. Australian journal of zoology, 15(1), 145-199.).
Acording to this publication, it should be Elasmus sp.
But let's wait for Chalcidbear.
Bilule

Postby chalcidbear on 21 Feb 2017, 17:42

Hey, don't wait for me - you're doing fine. I think it is highly likely to be Elasmus, but I'm unfamiliar with Austelamus, so I'm happy to settle for Elasminae.
chalcidbear

Postby Bilule on 21 Feb 2017, 19:28

Thanks Bob, but I'm just a curious amateur trying to practice with Greames' specimens. So I always appreciate to have your opinion.

Riek's key to genera:
- Hind tibia with the series of hairs forming, behind, a row of rhomb-shaped areas; middle tibia with 2 longitudinal rows of hairs; the 4 enlarged bristles of the scutellum of subequal length, rarely with the posterior pair of bristles enlarged ......Elasmus Westwood,
- Hind tibia with the series of long hairs forming, behind, 3 wavy lines, not touching one another; middle tibia with 3 longitudinal rows of hairs; posterior pair of bristles of the scutellum greatly enlarged and extending well beyond the apex of the metanotum .....Austelasmus, gen. nov.

But it seems that some Austelasmus have become Elasmus since 1966 (see Gunawardene, N., & Taylor, C. (2012). New records of Elasmus (Hymenoptera, Eulophidae) species from Barrow island, western Australia. Journal of Hymenoptera Research, 29, 21.).
So let's follow Bob' wisdom :wink:
Bilule

Postby Graeme Cocks on 21 Feb 2017, 22:10

Thanks everybody. Nice to have that key on hand too.
Attachments
gvcT09174a.jpg
Graeme Cocks

Return to Chalcidoidea and others small parasitic families / Erzwespen und andere