Hoplocryptus F coxator Schwarz det

Hoplocryptus F coxator Schwarz det

Postby rafael_carbonell on 30 Sep 2017, 13:27

If I did not get wrong is Cryptinae: Cryptini: Cryptina, but then I'm lost: not Enclisis, not Ischnus, may be Caenocryptus and others.

Female found drowned on July 16th, 2008. Body length: 8 mm. Forewing length: 5.7 mm. Ovipositor length (visible part): 3.23 mm. Ovipositor 1.25x times as long as hind tibia. Ovipositor sheaths: 2.40 mm. Ovipositor sheaths 0.93 times as long as hind tibia. HEAD: Antenna with 23 flagellar segments, basal 5 flagellomeres black, 4 central flagellomeres ivory white and the 14 apical flagellomeres black. F1 length/width ratio: 29:4=7.25. F3 length/width ratio: 21:3= 7. Clypeus narrow and obviously convex, apically rounded and separated from the face by a well-defined groove. Clypeus with a medial tubercle or tooth. Mandible twice its width at midpoint. Mandible two-toothed, tooth with the same length. Malar space (cheeks) 0.72 times as long as the width of the mandibular base. Frons not depressed. MESOSOMA: Mesopleuron and metapleuron distinctly wrinkled. Mesosoma black, except subalar prominence and the tip of scutellum which are ivory white. Mesoscutum convex, relatively narrow, lacking transverse rugae, with notaulices extending beyond the centre of mesoscutum. Mesoscutum densely sculpted, matte, with fine points. Mesopleuron with a sinuated sternaulus covering almost all its length. Propodeum with carinae, but only with two transverse carinae, basal longitudinal carinae unclear or unknown. Area horizontalis 1.3 times as long as area petiolaris. Propodeal spiracles almost rounded, length/width ratio less than 1,1. Metanotum without sublateral posterior projections. Postpectal carina not complete, laterally present, absent in front of mid coxae. METASOMA: Sclerotized part of 1st sternite extending to the posterior third of the segment. 1st metasomal segment narrow basally and gradually widened apically, without a basal lateral tooth. First metasomal spiracle beyond the middle, at 0.58x the length of first metasomal segment. Postpetiolus with not very noticeable points. Second metasomal tergite with very dense microsculpture and fairly dense haired. Second tergite as long as its maximum width seen from above. Seventh tergite with a big ivory spot. Eight tergite dorsally ivory white. Ovipositor sheaths thinner and flexible. Lower half of the ovipositor toothed apically. Ovipositor tip (from the notch to the apex) 3.0 times as long as high. WINGS: Fore wings with 2m-cu vein present, with one bulla, subvertical, reaching subdiscoidal vein in a right angle. Fore wing with an areolet with convergent sides. Subdiscoideus vein reaching postnervulus about its middle. Hindwing with the medial part of the medial vein slightly curved and moderately curved at the apical 0.6x part. Hind wing with axillary vein parallel to the anal margin, its apex curved to the margin. LEGS: Hind coxa with a weakly printed area. Legs mostly deep brown, with black coxae and other parts also black. Femur III length/width ratio: 5.0. Hind tibia length: 2.57 mm. Second segment of the tarsi 1.29 times as long as the fifth segment.

The same picture with best resolution here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47899925@N06/37150308250/
Attachments
Cryptinae 20080716 f MT2m.jpg
Last edited by rafael_carbonell on 06 Oct 2017, 23:05, edited 6 times in total.
rafael_carbonell

registration check: HymIS

Re: Unknown Cryptinae

Postby tlegrand on 30 Sep 2017, 22:04

I am not an expert but It look like a Hoplocryptus sp. for me, maybe a female Hoplocryptus coxator ?

If you want there is a key of the species by M. Schwarz here : http://www.zobodat.at/stable/pdf/LBB_00 ... 1-1219.pdf
tlegrand

registration check: hymis

Postby rafael_carbonell on 02 Oct 2017, 23:25

Thanks for your answer. Could be Hoplocryptus, but following Townes 1969 (in Ribes (http://ponent.atspace.org/fauna/ins/fam ... ni_cry.htm), in Hoplocryptus the sides of the areolet of the forewing should be parallel, and in this case are clearly convergent.
I am now repeating the steps with the key of Rossem (1969) and it could be Aritranis. but in this key is not the genus Hoplocryptus.
In my opinion the keys for these genus are far from satisfactory.
rafael_carbonell

Postby rafael_carbonell on 04 Oct 2017, 00:30

I have read the key of Hoplocryptus (Schwarz, 2007) you linked me (thanks!), and it is said this genus is in part the Aritranis sensu Townes, so it could be this genus (so from now on, you are an expert, or at least much more exper than me!).

Following the key I got Hoplocryptus quadriguttatus, but the number of flagellomeres is greater, or Hoplocryptus coxatus (which the same number of flagellomeres and in this case hind coxa excepcionally black). But I will wait for confirmation.

I have corrected the description as some measurements were incorrect.

All the best,

Rafael
rafael_carbonell

Postby Camille Thirion on 04 Oct 2017, 21:16

locality, date please?
Camille Thirion

Postby rafael_carbonell on 04 Oct 2017, 23:29

Sorry, Camille!

Iberian peninsula: Catalogne: Girona: Beuda, 380 m a.s.l
Found drowned on July 16th, 2008

Now I have studied better the specimen and the paper of Schwarz and I agree with tlegrand that it is Hoplocryptus coxator
I did some mistakes including confusing ovipositor length with ovipositor sheaths length

Below there are pictures of the head in dorsal view, the tibia of leg I (which is quite broad), the tarsi of leg 3 and the tip of ovipositor, which are important for determination.

Do yo agree, Camille?
Attachments
P1130356-horzm.jpg
rafael_carbonell

Postby rafael_carbonell on 05 Oct 2017, 19:28

And detail of the clypeus
Attachments
Hoplocryptus coxator 20080716 f (15).jpg
rafael_carbonell