Norway: Ichneumonidae -> Ctenopelmatinae / Protarchus ?

Norway: Ichneumonidae -> Ctenopelmatinae / Protarchus ?

Postby JornRGustad on 22 Apr 2017, 09:30

I struggle to find any match for this rather spectacular specimen netted at coastal grassy/rocky slope 4th July 15m asl at 69 degrees N. The specimen was not collected. I can upload more detailed cropped details, if needed for further investigations.

Grateful for any clues!
Attachments
Hymisb.JPG
Hymisa.JPG
Last edited by JornRGustad on 23 Apr 2017, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
JornRGustad

registration check: HymIS

Re: Norway: Ichneumonidae

Postby Camille Thirion on 22 Apr 2017, 09:55

Size please!
Camille
Camille Thirion

Postby JornRGustad on 22 Apr 2017, 10:43

Sorry, the size limit at the site is a trouble for me. PM me your e-mail address , and I can send you large files.

Cheers Jørn
JornRGustad

Postby Gunnar on 22 Apr 2017, 11:48

Ctenopelmatinae. May be Protarchus testatorius, but there are 4 species of Protarchus known to Norway and Sweden. I have not found any new revision of them.
Species level is probably difficult without collecting. I am not even sure about the genus.
Start collecting Jørn!
Gunnar

Postby JornRGustad on 22 Apr 2017, 15:11

Thanks, Gunnar! I find it very close to the species you propose, comparing to the sparce pictures on the net. It has a holarctic distribution and Leblanc's key says: "Metasomal terga black, with extensive orange on terga 2 to 4; areolet usually present and very small (Fig. 29)". The figure is depicting an areolet a bit smaller than what my specimens shows. On my specimen it is not fully closed towards the M vein. How grandis and heros looks, I do not know, but sorbi is also covered by Leblanc: "Notaulus weak and reduced to shallow impressions (Figs. 6,7); hind tibia of male black in apical 0,6; face of male yellow". The areolet figure for sorbi in Leblanc is fitting my specimen better. I counted the flagellomeres to 45, which is within the range of sorbi (40-45), and outside the range of testatorius (40-44).

Leblanc, L. 1999. The Nearctic species of Protarchus (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonidae: Ctenopelmatinae). Journal of Hymenoptera Research. 8: 251-267.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/4490799#page/592/mode/1up

(Recent years I have started collecting, but dried/frozen specimens only, not even on alcohol...)

Cheers Jørn
JornRGustad

Return to Ichneumonoidea / Schlupf- und Brackwespen