Difficult Hylaeus female --> clypearis (?)

Difficult Hylaeus female --> clypearis (?)

Postby rafael_carbonell on 29 Dec 2017, 20:45

At first glance this female Hylaeus seemed to me it had three teeth on mandibles, this drove me to Hylaeus (Dentigera) imparilis, but it didn't fit too much. Then I tried as it had two teeth, and this drove me more easily to Hylaeus (prosopis) clypearis.
So, what's your opinion?

Found drowned in a pool, 10.ix.2017. [Iberian peninsula: Catalonia: Girona: Beuda: 400 m a.s.l.]. Antenna with 12 segments: female. Length: about 5 mm.
KI, Kaput Index (length head/width head): 49/52=0,94
CI, Clypeal index (length clypeus/ width clypeus): 20/16=1.25

HEAD: Surface of eyes bare. Clypeus slightly convex, without projections or teeth. Face with lateral pale spots, which are contiguous with the orbits to a mid-height and contiguous to the clypeus. and filling the area in between. Mandibles with two or three teeth. Head roundish: vertex (in frontal view) slightly domed, the upper edge of the head doesn’t exceed the upper orbital margins by a distance equal to the width of the compound eyes. Internal orbits converging downwards. Head (in lateral view) with (normal) narrow temples. Malar space short. Occipital keel absent. Elongated facial foveae, which slightly exceed the upper edge of the compound eyes and converge strongly towards the ocelli; the ends are near to the ocelli than to the compound eyes.

THORAX: Black. Pronotum with convergent sides and angled corners. Mesonotum with heavy and dense punctured, deeply sculpted. Mesopleuron seen laterally rounded anteriorly, not forming a keel or lamella. Mesopleuron heavily punctured. Terminal area of propodeum with sharp edges. Medial area of propodeum rugate. Lateral areas of propodeum with a clear step.

GASTER: Gaster oval, rounded at apex. Tergite 1 finely, uniformly, densely punctuated; without lateral haired bands.

WINGS: Forewing with two submarginal cells. Vein 2m-cu meets M opposite second submarginal cell. Wings stained with white (i.e. area before pterostigma).

LEGS: Arolium present between tarsal claws. No obvious scopa present. Legs almost hairless and with clear yellow markings.

Against imparilis:
Facial foveae not elongated, its end near the compound eye. (it’s clearly elongate and near the ocelli but also the compound eye)
Haired lateral bands in tergite 1 (tergite 1 has no lateral bands)
Propodeum partly rounded (terminal area at propodeum is sharply edged).

Against clypearis:
Pronotum with convergent sides and blunt ends. (Pronotum with convergent sides and angled corners). But the same shape as pictures at atlas hymenoptera site.http://www.atlashymenoptera.net/pagetax ... tx_id=6223
Hylaeus imparilis 20170910 f MT2m.jpg
can also get a more resolution image here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/47899925@N06/24509288507/
registration check: HymIS

Return to Aculeate wasps and bees / Bienen und Wespen