Unknown Pepsinae --> Auplopus rectus

Unknown Pepsinae --> Auplopus rectus

Postby rafael_carbonell on 31 Aug 2017, 01:10

Hi everybody, here it's a male Pepsinae (Pompilidae) that's driving me crazy :roll: for the last three days...

any help about the ID of the genus will be wellcommed. :wink:

Particularly the head, clypeus and mandibles are quite different from other Pompilidae I have seen before :shock: ; it's also looks different depending on the angle. I'm sorry my photographic equipment is not good enough :oops: , and that's why I wrote a complete descrption below.
Attachments
Pepsinae petit 20170827 m (31)-horzm.jpg
Last edited by rafael_carbonell on 03 Sep 2017, 20:04, edited 3 times in total.
rafael_carbonell

registration check: HymIS

Re: Unknown Pepsinae

Postby rafael_carbonell on 31 Aug 2017, 01:13

Collected draught in a pool [Iberian Peninsula: Catalonia: Girona: Beuda, 380 m a.s.l., 27th august 2017, in a stone oak wood with crops environment]. The distal parts of antenna broke when mounting and studying the specimen, but composed of with 13 segments in total, so it's a male. Body length: 6.1 mm. Forewing length: 5.1 mm. Body colour: Mostly black except parts of head, antenna, legs and gaster.

HEAD: Face protuberant over the antenna base. Face black except the whitish low-inner parts of the orbits. Clypeus and mandibles mostly white, except the black central part of the clypeus and the reddish apex of mandibles. Inner orbits, a vertical band from the antenna to middle part of clypeus, silvery-white haired. Margin of clypeus excised but in the middle part there is a downward pointing "tooth". Mandibles hairy, wide, apically two-toothed and rectangularly and frontally bent. Distal part of antenna mostly reddish with constrictions between the segments (crenulate). Eyes not close together beneath antennal sockets. Labrum not exserted.

MESOSOMA: Pronotum, postscutellum and propodeum white haired. Anterior part of pronotum dorsally rounded. Mesosoma and scutellum densely punctate. Propodeum dorsally rugulose-striated, with two oblique impressions converging apically.

WINGS: Fore wing faintly bifasciate. Three cubital cells present. Third cell more wide than high!! Vein CuA1 not deflected posteriorly to form a distinct 'pocket'. Crossvein cu-a meeting vein CuA of fore wing at a point postfurcal of vein M by at least 0·5 of length of cu-a!! (in this specimen cu-a is 8/40 mm and the distance between junctions of CuA is 4/40 mm). Apex of M vein approaching to the apex of the wing. Radial cell not apically rounded.

LEGS: Hind legs of normal proportions relative to fore and mid legs. Hind tibia with just a few short spines; they are short, regular in length and spacing. Mid and hind femora lacking dorsal preapical spines set in pits. Hind tarsal claws just toothed in the middle and not rectangularly bent. Tibial spurs brown or black. Legs mostly reddish brown with black. Fore coxa ventrally white.

METASOMA: First segment basally subpetiolated. Second sternite without trace of a transverse groove. Subgenital plate parabolical shaped (tongue-like), haired, apically flat but with a raised longitudinal keel in the basal part, with no noticeable erect hairs on it. First and base of second sternite reddish (depending on the angle they are seen).

Description following Berland (1925) and Day (1988). The keys drove me mostly to Dipogon but also to Cryptocheilus or Priocnemis. In any case the clypeus and mandible shape is peculiar and quite different from other specimens I have collected of these three genera.

A full-resolution image can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/47899925@N06/36530932370/
Attachments
Pepsinae petit 20170827 m MT1m.jpg
rafael_carbonell

registration check: HymIS

Postby Christian on 31 Aug 2017, 09:07

It is a male of Auplopus rectus.

Best wishes, Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Postby rafael_carbonell on 31 Aug 2017, 21:16