Colorful Apoidea

Colorful Apoidea

Postby Isidro on 01 Apr 2017, 19:48

Hello,
this bee was seen today in gypsy steppes of Saragossa, NE Spain. It looks like an Sphecodes with black head and thorax and bright scarlet abdomen, but it's legs are red and all Sphecodes that I've seen have black legs, also it have a completely red abdomen without dark tip, dark wings, and it's quite big for an Sphecodes, almost the size of a honeybee. So I'm completely lost with this one.
Unfortunately this is the only photo that I've got. When I tried a lateral one, the bee flied away.
Please help!!!!!!! Thanks!
Attachments
Copia de IMGP0166 (1-4-17 Montes de Torrero).jpg
Isidro

Re: Colorful Apoidea

Postby Christian on 03 Apr 2017, 15:26

It may be something of the Dioxys relationsship. There are some species in Spain with red gaster, so I cannot give any name.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Isidro on 10 Apr 2017, 22:49

Thanks for your kind reply Christian. I've got an ID by B. Jacobi, a bee expert friend. He said it's the Spanish form of Sphecodes albilabris, that form have red legs instead the black legs usual for the species :-)
Isidro

Postby Christian on 11 Apr 2017, 22:44

I am not convinced. The species agree more less perfect with my Dioxys ardens collected in Andalucia, Matalascanas, apart from the black antennae. These are reddish in my specimens. Sphecodes has a different shape of body, and a different colour of abdomen (darker red and not orange red as here). Fore me is it a clear Dioxys near ardens.

Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Isidro on 13 Apr 2017, 13:29

Hmmm... Thanks. I will tell that to Bernhard, maybe he change his perception of the insect. There was several true Sphecodes (smaller and black-legged) in the same trip.
Isidro

Postby Isidro on 14 Apr 2017, 07:22

Well, Bernhard is as sure as he can be and based his identification in anatomical details that make Dioxys uncompatible with my image. So this is Sphecodes albilabris finally :-)
Isidro

Return to Aculeate wasps and bees / Bienen und Wespen